Cape Florida Lighthouse
Situated at the southern tip of Key Biscayne, the Cape Florida Lighthouse was constructed in 1825. The light was the site of a famous attack during the Second Seminole War in 1836, when Native Americans attempted to burn the lighthouse and kill the lighthouse keepers. The tower was rebuilt in 1847, and again altered in 1855, raising the light to its current 95 feet above sea level. The lighthouse is now a part of Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park, and is still used as an Aid-To-Navigation by the United States Coast Guard. The light is the oldest standing structure in Miami-Dade County.
In 1989, after a century of neglect, the State of Florida began the process to restore the Cape Florida Lighthouse on Key Biscayne, with a historic structure report and extensive structural analysis of the mid-19th century brick tower. It would take another six years before the restoration of the severely deteriorated edifice would resume in earnest. During the process of restoration, the entire metal top of the lighthouse was removed and restored. The historic light was formally reactivated on July 27, 1996.
1997 A.B.C. Florida Gulf Coast Chapter: Excellence in Construction Award
1997 Florida Trust for Historic Preservation; Cape Florida Lighthouse, Key Biscayne, Florida