The Gainesville Depot is a restoration project of an historic railroad station located in Gainesville, Florida. Commissioned by the City of Gainesville Community Redevelopment Agency, the Gainesville Depot Building served as the main railroad station for the town of Gainesville for over 60 years, but fell into major disrepair after the railroad was abandoned. Construction on the Depot building was begun in the 1860’s, with various alterations and additions occurring until the 1920’s. The building consists of two parts: a linear, wood-framed freight building with covered wood platforms on both sides, and a wood-framed passenger waiting room. The building was painted in its original 3-color paint scheme. The repurposed building now serves as a museum and restaurant space, and is a major entryway to Depot Park, a large new urban park converted from a brownfield site. The project was completed in accordance with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. The project also achieved LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
2014 United States Green Building Association: Project of the Year, BD & C North Florida
2013 Florida Trust for Historic Preservation: Outstanding Achievement in the field of Restoration / Rehabilitation
2013 Florida Trust for Historic Preservation: Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Green Buildings
2013 Florida American Public Works Association: Project of the Year in Historic Restoration/Preservation