Gato Cigar Building
Constructed in 1920, the Gato Cigar Factory was taken over by the Navy to support the war effort in 1942. The post war years saw major modifications and additions that obscured the exterior and resulted in the loss of significant historic fabric. The property was acquired by Monroe County and rehabilitated for use as County Office space. The transformation from an abandoned derelict building to a completely restored edifice was dramatic and received much notice by the local community throughout the restoration process.
2002 Historic Florida Keys Foundation, Inc. Awards: Excellence in Rehabilitation
2003 Florida Trust for Historic Preservation: Outstanding Achievement for Restoration/ Rehabilitation