Key West Lighthouse
Key West Light Station Restoration
The Key West Light House is an 86 foot high tower which houses a third order Fresnel lens. Situated in the heart of Old Town Key West, the light was constructed in 1847 as a 65 foot tall tower. An addition to the tower in 1894 added approximately 20 feet to the tower’s height, bringing the light up to a full 100 feet above sea level. The Lighthouse was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1969.
The Key West Light Station property consists of the Lighthouse Tower itself, a Lighthouse Keeper’s Quarters constructed in 1887, a Museum building originally constructed as a garage in 1926, and several other outbuildings, including a Cistern and Oil House. The property is currently operated by the Key West Art and Historical Society as a museum.
Work on the Key West Light Station has occurred in several phases. The restoration of the Lighthouse Tower and Oil House was completed by Bender & Associates in 1989. The Keeper’s Quarters building was restored in 1990, and reroofed in 1999. The original Garage was converted to museum display space in 1990. Further restoration and repair work on the entire property will occur in 2015.
1991 Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board Awards: Key West Lightstation Phase III, Keeper's Quarters and Grounds. Award for Restoration
1991 Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board Awards: Key West Lightstation Phase II, Museum Store, Oil House and Well. Awards for Preservation, Rehabilitation and New Construction
1989 Florida Historical Confederation Award
1989 Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board Awards: Awards for Restoration and Master Craftsmanship
1987 Florida Trust Award